Tips for Healthy Teeth and Gums
One of the first parts of a person’s face our eyes meet is an individual’s smile, their teeth, and gums. We look at someone’s mouth to follow along with what they are saying, and process how they may be feeling. By now, you likely have your own routine to keep your mouth feeling fresh and clean. While you may think of keeping your teeth healthy, your gums are also an extremely important part of this as well. Below, we touch on some useful tips for healthy teeth and gums you can follow at home, helping to keep your smile and mouth in excellent shape.
1. Brush your teeth and your gums: This is one of the easiest gum health tips you can follow at home! Brushing your teeth isn’t just about removing plaque from the surface of your pearly whites. It’s also about removing plaque from your gums, and any other buildup you might find there.
2. Floss, floss, floss: According to the American Dental Association it is recommended you floss, or clean between your teeth, once a day.i Bacteria can linger between your teeth even if you’ve thoroughly brushed. Flossing really helps target the bacteria that might be hiding under the gum line. Doing this daily can help reduce any bacterial buildup.
3. Maintain a healthy diet: Maintaining a healthy diet is also an important part of maintaining healthy teeth and gums.ii While this might be easily overlooked by some, the starchy and sugar-filled treats we enjoy munching help feed the bacteria in your mouth and can lead to gum disease or tooth decay. Foods you might consider adding to your diet if you don’t already include:
- Fresh fruits and vegetables that offer great nutritional value, and can even help clean your teeth. Crunchy veggies such as carrots and celery are a great option.
- Drink plenty of water to wash away bacteria and keep saliva levels high.
- Consume calcium-rich foods that help fortify your teeth and bones. iii
4. Set up visits to the dentist regularly: Invest in making routine visits to your dentist. Go to a provider that you trust and makes you feel comfortable when you have questions regarding your oral hygiene. If you have insurance, be sure to take full advantage of the benefits they offered. Many plans offer a visit every six months for a cleaning and routine check-up. Create a calendar reminder a couple of times a year to call in to schedule your appointment.
5. Keep your teeth safe: Your teeth are priceless. At all costs, avoid using them for tasks that a pair of scissors can accomplish. While it may be tempting to use your teeth for practical uses such as opening sauce packets or even chewing on a pen cap while you try to concentrate, these actions can wear down your teeth over time, or worse, cause injury. Many people experience tooth chipping or breaking due to this form of misuse.
Keeping your teeth and gums healthy should be given the same attention as other areas of your body you hope to keep healthy. With these five simple tips for healthy gums and teeth, you can easily create a routine morning and night to help your mouth stay happy and enjoy your teeth and gums for years to come. For more information on oral health and topics such as these, be sure to visit the Sensodyne site.